In the southern side of Crete island, you will find a magical place full of white and pink sand, an area called Elafonisi. If you decide to do your vacation in Crete, be sure that Elafonisi will be among the places worth visiting.
Although Elafonisi in Greek means “the island of deer”, you will not see not even one deer walking around. The area of Elafonisi is included in the Natura 2000 Protection Program because of its exceptional natural beauty.
Elafonisi has thousands of visitors every summer and the best period of visiting is May, June or September if you wish to avoid the crowd. In the area around the beach there are some tavernas.
In Chania of Crete in the North and West side of Chania you will find the exotic beach of Balos. You can reach Balos by your car and walking or by the daily cruise ship that begins every day from Kissamos port.
Balos is known for its turquoise waters, the wild natural beauty and the beautiful exotic scenery. During the summer, Balos is visited by thousands of people. If you wish to avoid the crowd don’t visit Balos during July or August. The perfect hours for visiting are early in the morning or late in the evening.
- The cave of Hagia Sophia at a distance of 1 km in the village of Katsomatado.
- Gorge with waters from Katsomatados.
- Deliani Gorge at a distance of 4 km.
- Next to our traditional hotel is the centuries-old temple with columns, in the village of Lantziana.
- The 15th century church of Agios Nikolaos with frescoes, close to us in the village of Mouri at a distance of 1km.
- A 300 year-old water mill where they milled wheat and made it into flour in order to make bread. This is in Potamida village at 2 kilometers from our hotel.
- Pyramids created by nature in Potamida village, 2 km from our hotel.
- On the 16th of July is the feast of Agia Marina where the chapel next to us celebrates and it becomes a Cretan evening with souvlaki, wine Cretan music and other dishes.
- On July 20, in the village of Koukounaras, where there are wheat threshing floors, they make flour, knead bread where they bake in wood ovens, and a big celebration with Cretan music is held.
- On July 26th in the village Potamida we celebrate St. Paraskevi with Cretan music, dances and traditional dishes.
- The “Cretan August” with traditional products from 50 villages.
- The groom waits for the bride with a horse, accompanied by Cretan music and many treats.
- Great religious celebration in the village Bulgaro, the uncrossing of Christ from the Cross on Easter’s Good Friday.
- On September 20 in Lantziana village a big feast with pilaf and Cretan music in the square of the village.